Rendering is Recycling
Recycling in its truest form, the rendering process transforms inedible animal by-products, such as meat scraps, fat and bone into valuable, nutrient rich finished goods. Rendering is a necessary service for the agriculture and food industries and plays an important role in ensuring that animal by-products are disposed of safely.
Rothsay recycles more than 99% of its inputs into value-added products
- Inedible animal by-products received from abattoirs, food processing plants, supermarkets, and restaurants are processed at our facility into valuable commodities.
- Recycling animal by-products contributes to the preservation of our environment by providing a safe disposal alternative to landfills and incineration for these materials.
- Not only does the recycling process not consume water, it produces water which is then sent through a sophisticated and rigorous wastewater treatment and purification system prior to discharge into the natural local watershed.
- Odour causing compounds in the air are destroyed by scrubbers and sophisticated biofilters.
Our company's goal is to be a leader in environmental management.
Darling Ingredients is committed to safeguarding a sustainable and healthy environment, and to minimizing our ecological footprint. Rothsay has always dedicated our operations to meeting this goal and business ethic through continuously improving our environmentally friendly business practices.
What does continuous environmental improvement look like at Rothsay?
- Design, installation and commissioning of an Integrated Water Management System for comprehensive wastewater treatment at our two largest facilities.
- Use of Rothsay Biodiesel to run our truck fleet.
- Installation of the two largest closed biofilters in North America for the biological treatment of odours.
- Rigorous training and employment of specially trained air and water environmental system operators.
- Comprehensive management systems with detailed and specific policies and procedures for operation of our plants and environmental systems.
- Annual reduction of chemical, natural gas and electricity usage through initiatives focused on energy conservation.